I represent your innermost emotional needs and rule the most instinctive part of you. I’m changeable and have more needs at certain times than others.
Everything feminine, passive and conservative, is influenced by the moon. It symbolizes protective instincts, moods and enthusiasm. She indicates introversion, intuition and receptivity. Furthermore: buying and dependency, adaptability, reaction, reflection, subordination and obedience. Art, poetry and dreams.
It rules the water and all liquids. Ebb and flow fall under its dominion, including fertility, menstruation and conception. It further symbolizes the mother, the crowd, the people, the soul, the unconscious and the psyche. In the horoscope of a man, the moon indicates a mother figure. The nature of the planet is reflective and reproductive. It imitates the forms created by the sun. The individual with a strong Moon-position could be an excellent (reproductive) artist.
what does the moon represent
What You Will Learn:
- 1 Moon Astrology
- 2 Moon In The Signs
Imagination, memory, sensitivity, literary feeling, intuition, empathy, adaptability.
Inconstant, dreamy, absent, capricious, hypersensitivity, tends to flight from reality.
|Anatomy||the stomach, breasts, uterus and the lymph|
|Colour||white, cream, silvery grey and to a lesser extent green|
|Gemstone||all iridescent stones: moonstone, labradorite, opal.|
Also: pearl, carnelian, milk quartz, amber
Occupation : all professions which relate to liquids: liquor, wine, mineral water, milk, laundry, dying of fabrics, sailors. All professions related to the imagination: poets, writers, painters. All professions related to caretaking: nurse, preschool or kindergarten teacher, governess, midwife. Additionaly, all professions which do not produce anything (Sun) but focus on maintenance, support and repair.
The Moon is the natural satellite of the planet Earth. It takes the Moon close to 28 days to revolve around our planet. It doesn’t have its own light and it only shines because it is illuminated by the Sun.
She is The Moon Goddess (The Mother) the one who nurtures and nourishes
In Astrology – Chart Interpretation:
The Moon represents your unconscious instinctive responses, your habits, emotions, behavioral patterns and moods. It tells your desires in life.’What and how’ you deeply feel is the product of your Moon sign at the moment of your birth. The position of the Moon in your natal chart by sign, house and aspect will indicate your type of emotional responses, a kind of ‘automatic pilot’ natural reaction to people and situations in our everyday life.
your instinctive reaction to life your ‘instinctive antenna’ of the psyche, home, emotions, security, fertility and moodiness
With a well aspected Moon in your natal chart and personal planets in Cancer you probably can relate to vibes of this maxim by Sigmund Freud ‘In personal life we should be governed, I think, by the deep inner needs of our nature’
Moon In The Signs
Moon in Aries
The Light Moon may influence physical strength, assertiveness and the capacity to take decisive action, especially in matters of the heart. Extremes of passion are likely at times, particularly if the influence of Mars is also salient. Lack of consideration for others, inconsistent or impulsive behavior, or blatant aggression are likely if a high reading occurs. The Dark Moon may bring clarity to decision-making, but not in matters of the heart. Often associated with periods of calm, or waiting, the influence of the Dark Moon may find the patience of the Aries wanting.
- Likes to take the initiative.
- Puts a great deal of effort into things.
- Need for action.
- Enthusiastic homemaker, keen on family matters.
- Quick and decisive.
- Instinctive responses.
- Strong willed. Direct and to the point.
- Frank and not particularly diplomatic.
- Strong, easily expressed emotions.
- Gets fired up quickly.
- Restless and overactive.
- Need to fight something.
- Easily angered.
- Tends to blurt things out.
- Not sensitive to the feelings of others.
Moon in Taurus
The Light Moon has an influence on the emotions, and this can have a dampening effect that increases the natural patience of Taureans, though the down side of this is complacency. This can become a real problem if rumination turns into a stubborn refusal to get going, or results in a rigid go-slow mind-set when others want results quickly. The Dark Moon can bring the subconscious passions to the surface and depending what they are this may invoke the slumbering power of the Taurean into action. The Taurean’s can be as surprised as those around them with the outcomes
- Practical and cautious.
- Doesn’t like to be hurried.
- Likes the good things in life.
- Deliberate and patient thinking.
- Opinions fixed and not easily changed.
- Good sense of value.
- Cautious in expression of feelings.
- Affectionate and romantic.
- Liking for peace and quiet.
- Self indulgent and possessive.
- Not easy to share.
- Mind slow to respond.
- Inflexible and stubborn.
Moon in Gemini
The Light Moon ‘speeds up’ the natural ability to do many things at the same time, but this can result in trying to do too many things at once. Tension and emotional fluctuations are the unsettling result, and the feeling of being ‘out of control’. Contradictory behaviors are likely, especially if the Moon is salient in the birth reading. The Dark Moon, the twin opposite of the Light Moon, raises the Gemini awareness of the unseen forces and spirits. Gemini~Rs are equally at odds with a moonless night or a full moon, preferring the light and dark side in equal measure.
- Lively, always on the go.
- Lives on nervous energy.
- Liking for change and variety.
- Adaptable and versatile.
- Naturally intelligent, inclined to study, learns easily.
- Good imagination and memory.
- Astute and shrewd.
- Good sense of humour.
- Highly changeable emotions.
- Generally cool affections.
- Keenly aware of environment.
- Light hearted approach to life.
- Very restless, unable to settle.
- Too many things on the go.
- Concentration not good, too many ideas, easily distracted.
- Lacks sincerity, can be superficial and fickle.
Moon in Cancer
The Moon, Cancer’s ruling planet, is the strongest influence, particularly heightening the proclivity to be self-protective, which can work against intimacy. The Light Moon’s influence strengthens the nurturing instincts of Cancerians and this influence can extend to increase sensuality and passion and encourage more self-revelation. The changing Moon is associated with fluctuations and upheaval and may add to the Cancerian tendency to employ catastrophic thinking. The influence of the Dark Moon is strongest with the new moon and can be particularly unsettling for Cancerians.
- Domesticated, attached to family and home.
- Puts down firm roots.
- Feels environment acutely.
- Receptive mind.
- Good imagination and memory.
- Strong instincts and high intuition.
- May be attracted to teaching, if so could be talented.
- Sensitive and caring, tries to help and sympathize.
- Strong romantic inclinations, shows feelings openly.
- Defensive. exhibits ‘hard shell – soft interior’.
- Hard to get close to.
- Fights of fancy and daydreaming.
- Tends to brood and worry.
- Easily swayed by circumstances.
- Moods change quickly.
- Fear and apprehension. Insecure.
- Clings to the past and to people.
Moon in Leo
The Light Moon can heighten Leo’s innate enthusiasm and the expression of positive energies, especially in the areas of leadership and organization and ardent sexual drive. However, the Moon is also associated with fluctuations and emotionality and during a period of insecurity, it may help spark the expression of negative energies in displays of a dogmatic mindset or arrogance. The Dark Moon’s influence is strongest when the Moon is on the same side of the Earth as the Sun. This is a potent combination for the sun driven Leo, and Leo~Rs will need to guard against inappropriate self-expression,
- Amiable. Likes to be noticed and appreciated.
- Ought to be good in the public arena, showing organising skills.
- Reliable and dependable.
- Lives life to the full.
- Radiates natural warmth.
- Kindly and generous.
- Loving and affectionate.
- Platonic friendships possible.
- Life is an endless round of pleasure-seeking.
- Inclined to take risks and gamble without consideration.
- Flirtatious or addicted to the idea of romance.
- Overconfident and showy.
- Only interested in own opinions.
- Doesn’t listen.
Moon in Virgo
The Light Moon, if working with Mars, assists Virgo to use nervous energy with the considerable mental abilities that Mars, Virgo’s ruling planet, encourages. In these circumstances lucid arguments, verbal or written, can be presented without undue sharpness or having to insist. The Light Moon, however, is also associated with disruptions and fluctuations, and at other times anxieties may threaten to sabotage insights or encourage ‘headless chicken’ thinking. The presence of the Dark Moon can reduce empathy and compassion and if a subconscious drive for power is present, this can be an ugly combination. However if others are not involved the Dark Moon can bring a clarity and self-reliance to Virgo’s personal decision making
- Strong need to work and be of service.
- Very industrious.
- Practical with an eye for detail.
- Neat and tidy.
- May prefer to work in background.
- Highly organised and disciplined mind.
- Good with facts and figures.
- Has a critical eye for detail.
- Health and hygiene may be of interest.
- Controlled emotions which are not easily displayed.
- Does care, however, and will strive to be helpful.
- Perfectionist, rarely satisfied.
- Critical of others.
- Repressed emotions.
- Unable to relax and be openly warm.
- Critical of others, but does not life criticism.
- Fussy and worrisome.
- Health and hygiene overemphasized.
- May take things to extremes.
Moon in Libra
The Light Moon, if it is salient in Libra’s birth reading, can help to increase the archetypal feminine qualities already brought to the Libran by Venus. In male Librans, it can strengthen the feminine principle. These include empathy for others, peacemaking, tact and diplomacy, and the urge to bring out the best in others. But the moon is also associated with fluctuations and contradictory emotions and there may be a lack of objectivity or the inability to think clearly about a situation. The Dark Moon may bring out the often repressed passion and power of the Libran, which if not well managed can bring uncharacteristic selfishness and cattiness to the Libran persona. If well managed it may enable the Libran to be decisive and deliver the hard message they had been avoiding
- Peace loving and gentle. Refined outlook.
- Natural charm.
- Grace and poise.
- Gets very involved with people.
- Likes to share.
- Eager to please.
- Shows affections easily.
- Tactful and diplomatic.
- Intelligent and artistically minded.
- Inactive and lazy.
- May be overly dependent and clinging or too easily attracted and pulled into unsatisfactory relationships.
- Indecisive, changes opinions according to mood.
- Lets others make decisions.
Moon in Scorpio
The Light Moon can greatly influence Scorpio’s emotions, a phenomenon that may be used in positive circumstances to enhance the positive expression of emotions, or in other circumstances it may inspire jealousy or melancholic brooding. The Dark Moon brings Scorpio in touch with their subconscious self and appetite for power. This awareness appropriately managed assist Scorpio’s to make important life decisions.
- Very determined with great staying power.
- Resourceful – can make the most out of the least.
- Deep, powerful unfathomable emotions. Intense and passionate.
- No gray areas – either likes or dislikes.
- Devoted and loyal.
- Highly imaginative. Intuitive.
- Keenly perceptive.
- High curiosity.
- Very defensive. May cut people off.
- Doesn’t forgive easily.
- Must have own way, not easily consoled if unable to.
- Not easy to control emotions, emotional turmoil. Tormented soul. Broods deeply. Insatiable curiosity.
Moon in Sagittarius
The Light Moon may enhance Sagittarian optimism, love of a challenge and increase the speed at which the mind works. However, the Moon is also associated with fluctuations and upheavals and may be a disturbing influence when trying to focus on the details of a project or an important decision. The influence of the Dark Moon can lead the Sagittarian to brooding or spiritual contemplation. It may also enable the Sagittarian to let go of the challenge or activity that has taken them beyond their considerable capacity
- Genial, happy-go-lucky nature.
- Likable and friendly.
- High standards of honesty and personal integrity.
- Reliable and dependable.
- Freedom loving, likes travel
- Warmhearted and generous.
- Free thinking, wide ranging mind. Intelligent and deep thinking, inclined to study.
- Very restless, hard to settle down.
- Too may ideas, unfinished projects.
- Wasteful and extravagant.
- Collects information but may not use it fully.
- Haphazard study.
- Seeks shortcuts to success.
- Misplaced generosity.
- Expects too much from life, not prepared to make effort needed to succeed.
Moon in Capricorn
The Light Moon’s influence increases the ‘coolness’ of Capricorn’s approach, both in public and in private, and this can dampen a usually somewhat repressed emotional life even further. It can also bring a spiritual rigidity to the formal practice of religion. It’s influence can also benefit Capricorn’s ‘cool headed’ approach to practical matters and bring common sense or conservatism to the fore. The influence of the Dark Moon can lead to moments of emotional freedom and self-expression, which can be both surprising and refreshing. At its best this can be enlightening, at its worst it can be embarrassing and inappropriate.
- Cautious and reserved with a realistic and practical approach.
- Reliable and dependable.
- Likes responsibility.
- Ambitious with well defined aims.
- Highly focused imagination.
- Applies great patience to goals.
- Astute mind, good judgement.
- Serious thinking.
- Restrained emotions and feelings.
- Strong need for security.
- Difficulty in expressing self.
- Over cautious and self limiting.
- Too entrenched in the conventional.
- Restrictive imagination.
- Acutely aware of obstacles, either real or imagined.
- Narrow outlook.
- Not easy to express feelings.
- Fears and inadequacies. Insecure.
- Afraid to let guard down.
Moon in Aquarius
The Light Moon’s influence is seen in the personal magnetism of the Aquarian individual that others are attracted to, but this influence may intensify a fear of commitment so that others are shut out. At times the influence of Uranus, the ruling planet of Aquarians, may combine with the fluctuation and upheavals brought by the Moon’s influence, bringing exaggeration in the form of eccentricity or idiosyncratic spiritual practice. When the influence of the Dark Moon is strong it can lead the Aquarian to desire time alone, although even then they will be aware of the presence of others. If Solitude is unattainable their companions may see a side of the Aquarian they wished they hadn’t.
- Independent and freedom loving.
- Very much an individual.
- Friendly, likes to be with people.
- Doesn’t like to be tied down or to get too close.
- Imaginative and intuitive.
- Unconventional thinking.
- Unusual subjects or science will appeal.
- Broad minded.
- Fitful and erratic self expression. restless, hard to settle.
- Impulsive and given to knee-jerk reactions. resists being backed into a corner or being forced to do things.
- Misdirected need to care for people.
- Need for emotional detachment may be construed as aloofness or indifference.
- Misunderstandings when people place wrong interpretation on actions.
- Highly strung and given to nervous complaints.
Moon in Pisces
The Light Moon intensifies the Piscean proclivity to experience romantic or sentimental emotions, but Pisces idealism and inclination to passivity, when added to this emotional intensification, may result in others taking advantage. Male Pisceans particularly may find they fall into moodiness or are temperamental, easily offended or defeatist. The Dark Moon influence can bring an unusual clarity to the Piscean’s convictions, and if the individual’s subconscious desire is understood this can lead to a strong personal resolve to see things ‘right’. However if this is not managed carefully this can be detrimental to interpersonal relationships
- Delicate and sensitive. Refined, alluring nature.
- Grace and poise.
- Easily exhibits kindness and sympathy.
- Cares deeply.
- Will sacrifice own interests for others.
- Easily moved to tears.
- Enjoys peace, beauty and Nature.
- Solitude liked. may feel the need to retreat from the world occasionally.
- Artistic leanings.
- Highly receptive mind, impressionable and intuitive – perhaps psychic.
- Boundless imagination.
- Spiritual leanings.
- Prone to confusion and muddles. May feel swamped by life at times.
- Unable to make decisions.
- Susceptible and wide open to impressions, so easily taken advantage of.
- Idealistic – does not see reality.
- Prone to mistakes or misjudgments.
- Very sensitive and vulnerable.
- Easily hurt.
- Secretive, may hide problems.
- Sorrowful, tends to suffer in silence.
- easily discouraged.
The Moon reflects the subconscious, emotional and fluctuating side of the personality. It is considered the ruler of Cancer and its natural house is the 4th house.
In the astrological chart, it is considered a personal planet, reflecting basic psychological functions within the personality.
Notable astronomical characteristics
It is the only natural satellite and nearest body to the earth. From our vantage point, the moon’s observable size equals the observable size of the Sun, and as such it can be contended that its influence is as potent in the personality, if not, on occasions, more so, as observed in the natural phenomenon of solar eclipse. In this way, its situation in the astrological chart can be crucial in the reflection of a healthy and balanced personality.
Although for symplicity’s sake itis considered a planet in astrology, it is of course not really a planet, but a satellite. Even so, it is considered one of the most important elements in the astrological chart.
It is personal in that it mostly deals with private matters and is not naturally open to public issues. It is whole in that it deals with its own matters, is self-experiencing and is rather accepting of its qualities. It is regulatory in that other planets are given to a degree to its guiding light.
It is considered the baggage of the personality, emotional impressions that have settled deeply in the personality. It is reflecting the darker, unconscious side of the personality, qualities of which can sometimes even be renounced by the conscious, “sunny” side. Its expression is often so “automatic” that the person, being so build into that compartment, may be completely blind to the patterns, often getting a taste only of the superficial consequences.
It shows emotional drives which are difficult to explain. It is also the emphatic side of the personality, the maternal and protective instincts. It reflects the most fundamental needs of the personality, which may be more unconscious than conscious, and may not be apparent at first sight.
It is reflective of the person’s loyalty, especially towards his natural affiliations (family, culture, etc) and past.
The location of the moon in the houses reflects what is our home base, where do we really come from. Although it is the person’s second house, after the house of the Sun, it is really the place where the personality begins forming, and as such has much emotional significance for the individual. It is the house of home, and where we go to rewind and refill our emotional batteries. It is our refuge and where we go when the going gets rough. Naturally, when balanced the individual leaves this place and focusses on the house of the Sun. Returning to this place can sometimes even feel nostalgic.
It is reflective of areas where we feel emotionally compelled to delve, especially in times when our emotions are higher. It shows where we keep returning, what we are intricately, emotionally envolved with. It shows where we go and what we do when we are in our emotive mode.
It is the backflavor of everything that we do.
In non-natal charts (horary, return charts, progressions etc) a prominent Moon reflects a period of a heightened emotional state. There are often worries that cause this, especially worries for the family or some important family member. There may be a need to take care of, or help another. Alternatively, there may be other emotional issues and difficult moods that cause pain and introversion. There may also be some failures, or other problems that are responsible for this. Even the conjunctions to it will usually reflect some problematic manifestation.
Next planet in astrology : Mercury