I represent the mental processes of your logical, reasoning mind. You will find me in the thoughts, words and phrases of the way you speak.
|Rules||Gemini and Virgo|
It represents the spirit, reasoning, logic, public speaking, a writer, or a journalist. Its characteristics are thinking communication (travel, letters), and movement. It is also the planet of the intellect and in that capacity it dominates education. It grants a wide range of knowledge when positioned in the ninth house.
If unfavorably positioned in the birth chart, we often tend to mood, to be untruthful, contradict, quarrel (an unfavorable aspect of Mercury and Mars), and a general inconstancy that will endanger the more balanced qualities of our character.
The position of the planet is invaluable in business life. It is advisable never to buy anything important (like a house or a car) when Mercury (buy, trade) makes a malefic aspect with Neptune (cheating!).
Additionally, It itself rules all young persons and to some extent younger brothers, cousins, and all individuals who act as an intermediary, such as brokers and salesmen.
What does Mercury Represent:
What You Will Learn:
- 1 Mercury Astrology
- 2 What does Mercury Represent:
- 3 Mercury characteristics
- 4 Other Associations
- 5 Basic Astronomy:
- 6 In Mythology:
- 7 In Astrology – Chart Interpretation
- 8 Astro Keywords:
- 9 Mercury In The Signs
Intellectual adaptability, eloquently, mental flexibility, easy integration of knowledge, diplomatic.
Inconstancy, fragmentation, difficulties in concentrating, forgery, lying, stealing, cunning.
|Zodiac Sign||It rules two mutable signs, Gemini and Virgo|
|House||the third and sixth House|
|Anatomy||the lungs, the central nervous system, blood, arms, hands|
|Colour||saffron yellow, the color of the mind, sun, and light|
|Gemstone||citrine, topaz, and in particular for Virgo: carnelian, which emits a warm and friendly energy|
|Symbol||the central circle (the spirit) and the half-circle (the soul) in contact with the Cross (everyday reality).|
Occupation: journalist, writer, linguist, salesman, broker, official, tour leader, lawyer. In addition, all professions related to traffic and transport, postal services, the press, and education.
Mercury is the smallest planet in the Solar System and the one that is closest to the Sun. It takes Mercury 88 days to complete its orbital journey around the Sun and those two planets are never more apart than 28 degrees from each other.
He is The Winged Messenger of the Gods (The Hermes) and he represents the power to understand
In Astrology – Chart Interpretation
Mercury stands for the mind, perception, learning, and intellect. It rules our thought, reason, reading, writing, speech, and communication. The position of the Mercury by the sign, house, and aspect indicates your type of mentality and the way you express yourself. Mercury is the messenger through whom the brain/will (the Sun) and the inner world (the Moon) are connected with the outer world, your rational mind. The astronomical closeness of Mercury and the Sun indicated that … ‘intellect must be linked with a sense of direction and will’ …
dexterity, your sense – impression antenna in the horoscope, direct intelligence, mental acuity, information, logic, wit, and sarcasm
If Mercury plays a significant part in your chart or you have personal planets in Gemini and Virgo communication ‘runs wild’ with you and this phrase by Oscar Wilde possibly rings a bell ‘Conversation should touch everything but, should concentrate on nothing.
Mercury In The Signs
Mercury in Aries
Mercury promotes decisive action, clear and rapid thinking, and a confident, direct approach. The facility for rapid thought needs to be tempered with an effort to accommodate others who may need time to take in or consider these ideas.
- Alert and quick thinking.
- Makes immediate decisions.
- Good at a debate.
- Instigates ideas.
- Confident and assertive in speech and writing.
- Generally quick to learn.
- Restless and impatient.
- Hard to keep the mind in focus.
- Makes miscalculations and wrong assumptions.
- Unrestrained speech and writing cause problems by upsetting people.
- Seeks to win debates through sheer force.
- Disinclined to listen to the views of others.
Mercury in Taurus
Mercury tends to consolidate the steady, reliable, and often methodical approach to life typical of the Taurean individual. If Taureans find themselves in a rut, it may be helpful to look to other astrological influences to assist with moving forward
- Sensible and realistic.
- Slow, deliberate thinking.
- Practical minded.
- Fixed opinions.
- Adept in business and finances.
- Thinks within narrow confines.
- Overvalues the conventional, traditional colors mind.
- Overly cautious in considering ideas.
- Fear of failure.
- Unlikely to be satisfied with efforts.
- Missed opportunities through being overcautious.
Mercury in Gemini
Mercury, as Gemini’s ruling planet, has a considerable influence on the mind, especially in the area of relationships and stress, tension, and nervous anxiety. While the influence of Mercury in encouraging an already strong desire to communicate with others may be advantageous, its influence in the area of tension and nervousness can promote the lows that cause trouble
- Lives on nervous energy.
- Always on the go, needs variety in life.
- Easily stimulated.
- Highly adaptable and versatile.
- Lightening-quick intelligent mind. Learns easily.
- Good at a debate, never stuck for an answer.
- Good sense of humor.
- Gift of mimicry.
- Top rate communications skills.
- Difficult to concentrate, too easily distracted.
- Restless, always on the go, at the mercy of conditions.
- Maybe a mine of useless information.
- Seeks shortcuts rather than face problems.
- Temperamental studies.
- Excess communications, tend to chatter endlessly.
Mercury in Cancer
Mercury’s influence is on the mind, where it increases Cancer’s determination to think more positively, often supplying the extra boost of energy to do so. At other times, Mercury’s influence may be felt as an increase of negative or catastrophic thinking or nostalgic sadness. It may be beneficial to look to other solar influences to help restore a positive frame of mind
- Communication skills are linked to emotions.
- Good imagination and memory.
- Could be talented at teaching, has a way of presenting the facts in a clear, understandable way.
- May have the ability to influence the public mood.
- Receptive to ideas.
- learns easily.
- May function better at home or in a ‘homely’ environment.
- The past or family matters may be of great interest.
- Intuition and instincts ought to be good.
- Communication skills depend on moods, which change frequently.
- Inherited thinking may lead to a rigid outlook.
- Clings to the past.
- Collects information but may not use it effectively.
Mercury in Leo
Mercury can serve to enhance Leo’s emotional energy, organizational skills, and powers of concentration. However, in other circumstances, it may combine with tendencies towards stubbornness and encourage a dictatorial stance.
- Cheerful and optimistic mind.
- Broad-minded and tolerant of the views of others.
- Fixed opinions that are not easily changed.
- Confident in communications skills. Interests in the arts and theatre are possible.
- Good at organizing and planning.
- Lacks humility.
- Outspoken and dogmatic cares little for the views of others.
- Inflexible and set in ways.
Mercury in Virgo
Mercury, Virgo’s ruling planet, is the major influence, especially on the mind where it increases innate analytical abilities and understanding of how things work. In less favorable circumstances Mercury can reinforce mental anxiety, a tendency to get bogged down in detail, and an inability to see the bigger picture
- Systematic and businesslike.
- A practical and precise mind would make a good craftsman, accountant, analyst, or statistician.
- Good critical faculties.
- The orderly mind likes things tidy.
- A systematic approach to learning.
- Good communication skills.
- Witty and humorous.
- Sensible attention to health.
- Fussy over details, perfectionist. Faultfinding.
- Prone to nervous complaints and health fads.
- Too involved with work.
- Concentrates on faults rather than virtues.
- Critical of people. Can be sarcastic.
Mercury in Libra
Mercury influences Libra’s mind and can act as a buffer against the tendency towards procrastination or laziness. Mercury can enhance the communication skills of the Libran, especially in the area of objectivity which many Librans find so difficult. At other times, Mercury may combine with a proclivity for indecision and laziness and result in fence-sitting rather than tackling an issue.
- Likes close one-to-one contact and discussion.
- Fair-minded tends to make a rational and balanced judgment.
- Natural charm and power of persuasion.
- Diplomatic and tactful.
- Negotiating skills could do well in law.
- Problems making decisions tend to veer one way than the other.
- Agrees with people just to keep the peace.
- May be seen as unreliable.
- Prone to mistakes and misjudgments in contractual or legal matters.
- Fails to see full implications.
Mercury in Scorpio
Mercury combines with Scorpio’s intuition to boost rationality and the ability to apply logic or common sense to a situation, as well as increasing a sense of purpose. The influence of Mercury can also push the Scorpio towards obsession about a goal, though if details are considered fully, and emotional health monitored, things tend to work out well
- Emotionalized, intense thinking.
- High curiosity.
- Secretive doesn’t give much away.
- Strong instincts, intuitive.
- Would make a good detective.
- Resolute determination to get to the truth.
- May take an interest in the mysteries of life and death or the occult.
- Good eye for an opportunity with the ability to take advantage.
- Financial skills.
- Inflexible mind.
- Skeptical and intolerant of other people’s views.
- Obsessive thinking.
- May be jealous and resentful.
- May seek to exploit.
Mercury in Sagittarius
Mercury influences the mind and encourages intellectual stimulation, although Sagittarians should watch the tendency to get carried away with their own ideas. It is best to avoid making decisions when the mind is very active and to wait until the dust has settled before leaping into action. Things often look very different in the morning, especially if the details are properly taken into account
- Intelligent, adaptable, adventurous mind.
- Learns easily.
- Deep thinker.
- Possible prophetic dreams.
- Languages may appeal.
- Dignified mind with a liking for social justice and moral behavior.
- The capacity for wisdom may increase with age.
- Liking travel.
- Restless and always on the go.
- Takes on too many tasks, may leave some unfinished.
- Flawed judgment, makes mistakes.
- Collects facts but may not make full use of them.
- Keen to learn but may not complete the course.
- Tends to skim the surface rather than dig deeper.
Mercury in Capricorn
Mercury influences the mind and helps strengthen Capricorn’s well-established disciplined and methodical approach, especially long-term planning, as well as increasing the capacity for shrewdness. However, in other circumstances, Mercury can combine with the proclivity for the expression of pessimism which increases the possibility of being emotionally cut off from others
- Naturally ambitious with well-defined aims.
- Cautious, patient, and disciplined approach to goals.
- Very practical.
- Likes responsibility.
- Mind suited to business.
- Strategist, good at planning.
- Serious, studious mind ideally suited to long periods of concentrated, painstaking effort.
- Cautious, sow to start but resolute once on course.
- Inflexible and unresponsive to change.
- Depends too much on duty and tradition.
- May have had to shoulder responsibility early in life, Restrictive upbringing.
- May find it hard to make decisions through being overcautious or afraid of making mistakes.
- Sees obstacles as insurmountable rather than as a challenge.
- May raise imaginary obstacles to avoid responsibility.
- Difficulty in expressing feelings.
- Too rigid in ways.
- Worries what others may think.
Mercury in Aquarius
Mercury’s influence may dampen your tendency to be disruptive in certain circumstances and assist you to regain perspective or bring a balance to your tendency towards extreme reactions. Unless indicated in your birth reading, Mercury is not likely to have a negative influence.
- Likes to share ideas.
- Thinks unconventionally.
- Independent thinking, unlikely to change opinions easily.
- Inventive and original thinking can come up with novel solutions to problems.
- Progressive and advanced.
- Liking for science, technology, or the unusual.
- Intuitive with flashes of inspiration.
- Entrenched and stubborn thinking, although highly likely to suddenly change views to baffle or upset people.
- Winning the argument is more important than who is right.
- Resists ideas of others challenge alternative views.
- Adopts strange ideas which seem to appeal in a freethinking way.
Mercury in Pisces
Mercury can have a positive influence on the Piscean mind and may increase objectivity enabling a focus on practical outcomes, which is likely to involve enhancing the lives of others in some way. In other circumstances, Mercury may combine with proclivities to worry or to take the line of least resistance and become inconsistent in dealing with everyday matters. The position of Mercury in the birth reading must be carefully observed so that Pisceans can take advantage of its positive influences on the mind to strengthen their ability to be assertive
- Highly impressionable with the possibility of occasional confusion.
- Boundless imagination.
- Visions of other psychic experiences are possible.
- Artistic leanings.
- Thinks about the common good.
- May use communication skills to help others.
- Emotions tend to rule thinking. Difficult to equate to practical issues.
- Confused and hazy thinking.
- Not easy to make decisions.
- Forgetful and prone to mistakes.
- Should avoid psychism or escapism.
- Alternations of elation and depression.
- Easily used. Soft-touch.
- Can see potential problems but are unable to avoid them or say no.
Mercury is the nearest planet to the sun and the most in-tune with it. Despite its small size, it is the densest planet in the solar system. It is a very metallic planet as well – iron levels in his soil are the most elevated. It has the unusual behavior of completing only two revolutions around his axel for every three revolutions around the sun. At his nearest point to the sun (perihelion), the sun seems almost still in the planet’s sky.
From our vantage point, it never goes farther than 28.3 degrees (approx. one sign) from the sun.
It is very significant in its representation of the qualities inherent in a person’s communication style. For example, a Cancer sun would appear much less shy and retreating with a Leo Mercury.
It functions as the bridge between the person and the world at large. It is the Sun’s messenger, and “feeds” it information as is perceived through his quality and aspects. Even a more tranquil sun can be upset by negative messages from a shaky Mercury. Nevertheless, it does not presume to dictate any personal values.
It represents our pure, mental capacity and our ability to understand the world around us. That said, it is important to consider that if the Sun fully believes in something (eg. spirituality or skepticism) it will be very difficult for it to undermine that, no matter what aspects it makes.
It is the main ruler of intelligence and speech. Good speakers and writers have a well-disposed Mercury, but also an accessible Sun. However, It on its own is a comparatively weak planet and is less disposed to rein a person very strongly, unless it contacts the Ascendant. Sun-Mercury conjunction is common, because of their adjacent movement, and is less impactful than other conjunctions to the Sun.
It also plays a main role in education, reflecting learning capability, ability to understand, and the native’s general approach to knowledge and information.
It rules over the information in general and is reflective of the ability of people to understand each other. As such, it has also been associated with contracts and deals. In fact, it has been considered a ruler of any calculated exchange, communicative or otherwise – such as trade. Its retrograde (backward) movement has been associated with difficulties in mundane affairs of these domains.
It is said to reign over the nervous system (i.e the body’s messaging system).
Next planet in astrology: Venus
Also check out: Mercury Retrograde