8th House In Astrology
The eighth house describes support from others, sex, death, and transformation. The sign on the cusp of this house can convey information in those areas of life. The eighth house also indicates inheritances — legacies, wills, trusts, taxes, or insurance matters.
The eighth house is the opposite house from the second, which relates to earned income and expended energies. Thus, the eighth house describes how one saves and invests. Hunches and intuition are associated with this area, as are the assets of business or marital partners. This house is co-ruled by the sign of Scorpio and the planet, Pluto.
What You Will Learn:
The Planets in the 8th House
Sun in 8th House:
The sun in the eighth house shows a great need for sexual expression, and a high sex drive. It also shows an urge for transformation and psychological growth. There is a lot of emotional intensity here, and the individual spends a lot of time on the mysteries of life.
- Life punctuated by a series of major changes.
- Matters of life and death will feature strongly, may feel inclined to dig deeply into these issues through study of the mystical and occult side of life.
- Windfalls and legacies possible.
- May become involved in financial dealings involving the resources belonging to others Can expect to do well in life.
- Strong interests in financial matters and the manipulation of resources.
- Children could be secretive and manipulative and inclined to run up debts through impulsive emotionally-driven actions.
- Major traumatic changes will force new circumstances which may not be easy to adapt to.
- Heavy debts are possible unless financial matters are kept strictly above board.
- Care is needed to avoid the temptation to misuse funds or be impulsive
- Finances involving others may be troublesome.
- May loose out to unscrupulous people.
- Financial affairs in the hands of others.
Moon in 8th House:
Here the instinctive Moon is in a house where intuition, emotion, and deep-rooted feelings are emphasized. In some cases, the subject may have a ‘sixth sense’ or psychic abilities, especially if Neptune is strong elsewhere in the chart. There is a strong sexual urge with this placing, and the emotional resources are considerable. However, there is also a lack of trust in other people and a lot of jealousy when the subject is in a close relationship. Money from inheritances or investments is also emphasized in this house – as a result, subjects should keep a careful eye on their investments, lest they fluctuate a little too much.
- Financial affairs of partners intertwined with own.
- Will do well in life.
- Windfalls are possible.
- Matters of life and death feature strongly.
- May dig into these matters or study the mystical and occult side of life.
- A life punctuated by major changes.
- Financial affairs in the hands of others, they may lose out.
- Care is needed with joint finances.
- Must avoid the temptation to misuse funds or be impulsive.
- Heavy debts if not careful.
- Major traumatic changes force new circumstances.
- Home and domestic life under financial or other pressures which may result in enforced changes.
Mercury in 8th House:
Here there can be a tendency to brood over serious issues of life and death, and this individual may well have psychic gifts. However, before encouraging the development of these talents, it is essential to study the influence of Neptune in the natal chart, to discover whether the subject is spiritually strong enough to cope. An above-average preoccupation with sexuality is often present here, and there may be a very active and strong fantasy life. At its best, this placing indicates a superbly inquisitive and probing mind, strongly talented in research and problem-solving. Good investment ability is also present, especially if Mercury is in a water sign which will give the subject an intuitive grasp of the markets.
- Curious and probing mind, very tenacious in need to know.
- May develop interests in the afterlife or occult.
- Intuitive, possibly psychic.
- Can transform the ideas of others.
- Financially minded.
- Can spot opportunities and capitalize on them.
- Curious and probing but may come to wrong conclusions.
- Impaired by dogma or bias.
- Disturbing thoughts and feelings.
- Thinking could be strained or even obsessive.
- Financial problems through mistakes or contractual difficulties.
- Needs to guard against those who cheat or try to take advantage.
Venus in 8th House:
This placing increases the intensity of the individual’s emotions and passions, and sometimes jealous feelings can disrupt a partnership. The sex life is usually rich and rewarding unless Venus is inhibited by either Saturn or Pluto. If Venus is in a water sign, intuition will be considerably enhanced, but in all cases, there is insight and sympathy. By tradition, this is a fortunate placing for an inheritance, and there is often shrewd business flair here too.
- Financial gains through close associations or marriage are likely. Inheritance, legal settlements or windfalls are possible.
- Relationships are a transforming experience, one brings with it a completely new direction in life.
- Pleasure through spiritual or occult study, trying to find answers to the mysteries of life and death.
- Sudden dramatic changes with subsequent changes in direction.
- Emotional scenes, disclosures, and general unpleasantness are likely.
- Extravagance and waste may lead to debts. Partners may be extravagant or secretive about money.
- Money could be seen as a way of exerting power – repercussions likely.
Mars in 8th House:
This is the Scorpio house, and before Pluto was discovered Mars was the ruler of Scorpio, so this is a powerful placing. An extremely strong sex drive will be present and will be expressed with intensity. There is a fascination with investigation, and also with self-knowledge. This usually works out well, but there can be a tendency towards obsessive behavior. The choice of career can often be influenced by this placing, with many subjects choosing surgery, psychiatry, police, or detective work. There is a deep and abiding interest in big business and high finance, with a keen, positive attitude towards investment. The intuition is increased by this placing, and will be especially well-tuned when it comes to assessing both love and money. There can be an above-average preoccupation with death and esoteric matters. Occasionally, this placing my stimulate psychic ability.
- Puts a great deal of effort into financial matters.
- Sees money as power.
- Ought to do well in life.
- High curiosity, strongly motivated to discover what lies behind the obvious.
- Good at research or detective work
- . May take a keen interest in psychology, matters of life and death, metaphysics, or the occult.
- Has the ability to help people transform their lives.
- Impulsive behavior.
- Spends too freely. May run up debts.
- Uses money as a weapon.
- Possibility of financial power struggles that are not easy to resolve and can get quite emotionally frustrating.
- Suspicious with an inability to trust people.
- Conflicts and emotional rifts are evident and it may be difficult to remove the offending person.
- Emotions need to be understood and controlled lest they lead into error and invoke repercussions.
Jupiter in 8th House:
Financial gain through investment is indicated here, along with a sound business sense. There is also a lot of sexual enthusiasm and exuberance, and it is essential that a partner is willing to experiment in this area. This individual can be over-demanding in many ways, often without much consideration for those around him or her. This is also a very freedom-loving placing, but again, without much consideration for the effect, this may have on a partner. Much thought is given to the deeper matters of life and death, and this person is often considered to be wiser than their years.
- Great prosperity is possible through associations.
- Resources are placed at their disposal.
- Windfalls or legacies are possible.
- Deep thinking, high curiosity. Can investigate and dig deeply for truth.
- Mysteries of life and death may appeal.
- Overindulgent and extravagant behavior may result in n heavy debts.
- May depend too heavily on money belonging to others.
- Legal or other problems may occur with regard to legacies or other financial gains.
- The advice given may not be sound, or may not heed good advice.
- Care is needed in all financial dealings because expectations are too high and optimism may be misplaced.
Saturn in 8th House:
Determination and good powers of concentration are increased with this placing. This is an excellent placing for anyone who routinely has responsibility for other people’s money, such as anyone in the finance world, solicitors, estate agents, bankers, etc, as it endows the subject with a great deal of common sense and a healthy respect for the assets of others. Sexual repression can be an issue, with inhibition or guilt often present.
- Emotions are deep and not easily displayed.
- Likes to be in control at all times. Fears emotional dependence.
- Secretive about aims until the time is right.
- Great determination, lets nothing stand in way.
- Not inclined to take risks, prefers caution and patience. Good strategist.
- Powerful need to probe for truth, showing endless patience and determination.
- Interests in mysteries of life and death.
- May inherit knowledge.
- Secret, long-term goal, probably connected to finances.
- Can spot opportunities and exploit them.
- Uses investigative abilities to check people out with an eye for financial advancement.
- Legacies or other financial gains are possible, although this may be later in life or after much delay.
- May inherit property.
- Fears and emotional insecurity make expression difficult.
- May be perceived as cold or indifferent.
- Tends to brood and be jealous.
- Doesn’t forgive easily.
- Strong need to control almost every aspect of life.
- Seems to need a great deal in order to be happy.
- Financial problems and a lack of resources may hamper progress through life.
- Partner may be a drain on finances or may be financially or emotionally hampered in some way.
Uranus in 8th House:
This placing bestows a ‘couldn’t-care-less’ attitude towards money and wealth – if the individual has it, then fine, but if not, who cares? Again, this can have implications depending upon the sign on the cusp of this house, and of the 2nd house and very possibly conflict between this position and the need for financial security will ensue. The 8th house being a complicated one, this placing also has implications for this person’s sexual attitude, which may be rather ‘different’ (!) at best, and at worse could require professional counseling or help.
- Strong, unusual feelings. Aware of hidden forces.
- A highly unusual mind may have interests in the mysteries of life and death.
- Intuition is high with sudden flashes of original thoughts.
- Finances from unusual sources.
- The chances of profitable joint ventures are high.
- Sudden gains or windfalls may come out of the blue.
- Emotions are sometimes in turmoil.
- Given to sudden impulses which result in unfortunate consequences.
- Finances need great care. Impulsiveness could lead to losses.
- Sudden, inexplicable changes likely in financial affairs result in losses. Legacies or joint finances are particularly susceptible.
Neptune in 8th House:
This placing adds a deep and meaningful passion to the sex life, and generally ensures a very satisfactory expression of desire. However, this placing is also often associated with sexual guilt of one kind or another, and it is important that these people accept themselves for who they are. The powers of seduction are certainly enhanced here, and this person is usually very popular with their chosen partners.
- Hidden talents.
- Psychic experiences or prophetic dreams may change life.
- Maybe the recipient of finances or resources placed at your disposal.
- Legacies are also possible.
- Some people may flourish fantastic notions which are seriously flawed.
- Confusing conditions surround finances.
- Extravagant and wasteful partners.
- Unforeseen complications surround legacies.
- Taken advantage of.
- Strange fears may cause emotional and health problems.
- Certain anesthetics or medications could cause problems through unforeseen reactions or allergies.
Pluto in 8th House:
Pluto is at home here, since this is the Scorpio/Pluto house, Intuition is greatly increased, and there is often psychic ability too, and an interest in all things ‘new age’. A shrewd business sense is also present, especially if Cancer or Virgo is strong in the chart. Sexual problems may occur through jealousy if the emotions are not allowed to flow freely.
- Emotions are deep and powerful, not easy to understand or control.
- May experience periods of great intensity and powerful desires which seem to dominate life at the time.
- The natural urge to make money and do well in life.
- Instincts lead to making the right choices and the right moves. May do better with a partner.
- Resources and money are likely to be placed at your disposal
- Possible healing abilities. Pure insight and the likelihood of profound discoveries.
- Major changes in which the old and outmoded are left behind to make way for the new.
- Emotions are difficult to control and may occasionally be in turmoil.
- May feel impelled to do things against better judgment, as if in the grip of conditions beyond your control.
- Serious problems with money and resources shared with other people.
- Impetuous and inclined to enter into financial arrangements which are not sound. Other people may turn out to be a financial (and emotional) drain rather than an asset.
- Major changes are likely which could be emotionally unsettling and could see you disadvantaged.
Next: 9th house
what are your thoughts on this house?
The eighth house is the home of the sign Scorpio. Like Scorpio, it is ruled by Pluto (and Mars). The element associated with it is Water, and it is a succedent house.
The basic keywords I use for this one are “sexuality,” “other people’s money” (including inheritances), and “regeneration” (which includes all kinds of transformations including a literal OR figurative death and rebirth). Whereas the second house relates to our own resources, the eighth (opposite the second) relates to resources we receive from others, and other people *as* resources for us.
On another level, with the 8th we are taking the first step toward the mysterious side of life. It relates to the occult and things that are hidden under the surface of apparent reality. Pluto, the ruler of the eighth, is known for its transformative qualities… destroying the old to make way for the new. The sign located on the cusp of the eighth house, the planet ruling that sign, and the planets located in the eighth house, indicate how we transform ourselves and how we deal with change in our lives. (They also indicate how we experience sex!) Planets in the eighth can represent people who bring about change and transformation in our lives. On a more mundane level, they can indicate our dealings with other people’s money and resources.
I have Gemini on the cusp of the 8th, and no planets there. I tend to be very verbal in my approach to change and transformation. When I go through major changes in my life, I need to talk it out to make sense of it all. I also tend to read everything I can get my hands on that deals with the issue I’m facing. My mother use to say that her spiritual guide was a librarian, and I guess I inherited it! I can go into any bookstore or library and almost immediately pick up the book that is just what I need to read at that time.
How does your eighth house reflect transformation in your life?