1st House In Astrology
The 1st house indicates your personality, how you confront life, and how you project yourself into the world. The sign on the cusp of the first house is known as your Ascendant, or your rising sign. This sign represents the mask you wear and how you present yourself to other people.
It shows how you deal with life, not only the day-to-day, but also how you handle life’s challenges. Your temperament, appearance, and physical health are related to the first house and the sign that rules this house. Mars, the planet of action, and the Sun Sign Aries, are the natural rulers of the first house.
Planets In the 1st House
Sun 1st House:
If the sun is in the first house, it is often the case that the sun sign and Ascendant sign will be the same, making someone a ‘double Virgo’ or whatever. In this case, the whole chart will be dominated by the influence of that sign, which should be taken into consideration when judging anything else in the chart. The individual with a first house sun is likely to be energetic and assertive, competitive and self-absorbed, perhaps tending towards unwitting selfishness. This is an important placing for health, which is usually robust.
- Personal interest in fitness and healthy living.
- Strong personality, sunny disposition.
- May take pains with appearance.
- Likes to be the center of attraction.
- Natural organizer.
- Lives life to the full.
- Lacks vitality and strong recuperation.
- Maybe shy and lack confidence or maybe pushy and inclined to put on a display.
- Feels inadequate, rarely satisfied with the appearance.
- Could be pompous, aloof and domineering. Insensitive to needs of others.
Moon in 1st House:
The nearer the Moon is to the Ascending degree, the stronger the Moon’s influence will be. If it forms a conjunction with the Ascendant itself, then this will be a vital factor in the chart, quite possibly the dominating one. With our without the conjunction, however, the effect of the moon in this house is a softening of the personality, endowing the subject with a great urge to care for other people. There is also a strong self-protective instinct, and the subject will open up and express himself only when he is really sure he can trust someone. The intuition and emotions will be forces to be reckoned with. The skin is sensitized by this position, and good sun care is essential. The vitality may fluctuate, and the digestive (and in women, the reproductive) system can be sensitive.
- Very aware of the environment.
- Prominent feelings.
- Likes contact with people.
- Helpful and caring.
- Strong romantic inclinations.
- Many changes in fortune.
- Mother may have been a strong influence in shaping outlook and personality.
- Oversensitive to the environment.
- Hard to settle down.
- Fluctuating emotions, difficult to know what is wanted from life.
- Scatters energies and changes mind too often.
- Makes mistakes and does not complete some projects.
- Feels unsafe and insecure.
- Avoids issues.
- Uncertain in relationships.
- Varies between being defensive or being timid.
Mercury in 1st House:
The influence of Mercury here is powerful, adding an extra dimension to the personality as shown by the Ascendant sign. The need to communicate will be very strong; here is someone with a quick repartee, who is talkative and changeable. Often the individual uses gestures a great deal and has a general air of nervous energy. The aspects that Mercury receives must be considered with great care in this placing, as must the sign. Versatility will be considerable, but the superficiality and restlessness of Mercury are often at their worst here. Quick-wittedness is very likely, with sharp, fast answers to just about anything. If there are negative aspects from the Moon, Mars, or Uranus, nervous tension could cause stomach problems or migraines. A tendency to worry may cause hypochondria. The nearer Mercury is to the ascending degree, the more it will influence the whole natal chart.
- A high degree of nervous energy.
- Always on the go.
- Quick reactions, decisive.
- Much of their thinking is directed towards themself.
- Intellectual, likes mental pursuits and learning.
- Alert and quick thinking, snap judgments, and quick decisions.
- Communication is direct and to the point. Can be quite assertive.
- Witty and humorous.
- Nervous and impatient.
- Always on the go, finding it hard to rest.
- Concentration is not good, the mind wanders and easily distracted.
- Too many interests.
- Blurts things out and offends people or causes misunderstandings.
- Arguments and conflicts.
- Exaggerates to win.
- Overly concerned with their own point of view.
- Jumps to conclusions.
Venus in 1st House:
This individual has considerable charm and a compelling need to relate to a partner – he needs to love and to be loved. This person moves gracefully and is socially ‘desirable’ due to innate sympathy and kindness, and a knowledge of how to act and ‘the done thing’. Sometimes laziness is present, or at any rate, a laid-back attitude towards life. Time will always be made to relax. Psychological wholeness may only be achieved through a fulfilling relationship. The metabolism here may be slow, and there may be a dislike of exercise unless it is something social such as aerobic classes. As Venus rules the thyroid, a weight problem is quite possible. Mostly, this individual is easy-going but can be resentful. Parents of children with this placing should be aware of the need to instill a sense of self-discipline from an early age. The closer Venus is to the Ascendant, the more prominent its influence will be.
- Pleasant, cheerful disposition with natural charm.
- Gets on well with people.
- Refined outlook.
- Artistic appreciation.
- Likes to get close to people.
- Affectionate and sympathetic.
- Likes to share happiness.
- Alternations in the way self is seen and presented.
- Too much attachment to a peaceful life could produce laziness and a lack of motivation.
- Too easy-going and too trusting.
Mars in 1st house:
Since this is the Aries house, Mars here will dominate the chart. The physical energies of Mars will invigorate the ascendant sign, and this individual has tremendous willpower and a desire to win at all costs. An air of constant rush surrounds this person, who always has to be doing something. He has little patience for those slower than himself and does not suffer fools gladly. There is considerable competitiveness and a love of challenge. However, the self-centeredness of Mars can be a problem in this placing.
Bravery and daring are also common, and going all out for something in a really pioneering way is typical of this placing. Good vitality generally accompanies this individual’s considerable energy levels, but undue haste and carelessness can lead to accidents. This person can generate much enthusiasm and motivation in himself and others but must take care not to burn himself out through over-activity.
- Very energetic, something of a go-getter.
- Likes to instigate projects.
- Enterprising and courageous.
- Not easily put off.
- May tend to run down energies, but recuperation is good.
- Too much energy which is not easy to handle.
- Impulsive and irritable.
- Must have own way.
- Over assertive.
- Outspoken or argumentative.
- Strong opinions, does not listen to advice.
Jupiter in 1st House:
The closer Jupiter is to the ascending degree, the more powerful its overall chart influence will be. In any case, the Ascendant sign will be modified by powerful Jupiter’s presence here, adding an optimistic and warm-hearted approach to life as a whole. The considerable breadth of vision helps even the less expansive Ascendant signs such as Virgo to see the bigger picture. This person is generally open and honest and takes others at face value.
- A cheerful personality that inspires confidence in others.
- Likes to do things in a big way.
- Openly kindly and generous.
- Fun to be with.
- Optimistic, philosophic about difficulties.
- Good sense of humor. Broad-minded with a width of vision.
- Tolerant of other people’s opinions.
- Attracts opportunities. A life filled with fortunate experiences.
- Traveling and people far away could prove valuable.
- Views the world as an endless supply designed to satisfy every whim.
- May not grasp opportunities if it involves hard work.
- Wants everything to fall into their lap.
- Extravagance may be a problem.
- Unable to trust people. Expectations are too high.
- Likely to get involved with people who promise much but fail to deliver.
Saturn 1st House:
Here a great deal depends on how close Saturn is to the Ascendant. If conjunct the Ascendant (within 8 degrees) then this will be the dominant factor in the chart and extremely important. In any event, Saturn in the first house has the overall effect of inhibiting the personality, often causing shyness and a lack of self-confidence. A natural caution and a great deal of common sense are blessings, however. A pessimistic outlook can stem from a feeling of an inability to cope with everyday life or to get problems out of all perspectives. A strong sense of duty and a conservative outlook are also here, together with a slowing of the metabolism and a lack of vitality, but much of this can be countered by other, more positive points within the chart, especially helpful aspects to Saturn.
- Serious, quiet, and reserved.
- May tend to dress conservatively rather than follow fashion.
- A strong personal need to achieve something worthwhile.
- May pursue goals with great determination.
- Trying to balance caution and forging ahead may not be easy.
- Not tolerant of delays or obstacles, may get frustrated by these.
- Strong need for personal security and control over life.
- Tries to lay down laws for others.
- Many responsibilities and burdens to shoulder, perhaps from an early age.
- Likes to move ahead in an unrestrained manner and so doesn’t like restrictions.
- Impatient and impulsive sometimes.
- Upsets people by laying down rules to satisfy their own need for security.
- The sense of time isn’t good.
- Not easy to please.
- Burdens and tiresome responsibilities which are sometimes hard to bear.
Uranus 1st House:
The presence of Uranus here will powerfully affect the characteristics of the Ascendant sign. This individual will be fiercely independent and original, with more than a dash of brilliance shown through the potential of the Ascendant sign. Perverse and unpredictable, this person can also be their own worst enemy and is bound to suffer from nervous tension.
- Restless and always on the go.
- Spends a great deal of time among friends. Popular due to their friendly nature.
- Liking for the unusual or science and technology.
- Independent, not easily pigeonholed.
- Likes to be friendly but will not take orders or conform to rules.
- Highly motivated.
- Likes to feel ‘different’.
- May dress in an unusual way.
- Life is likely to be filled with surprises, exciting times, and sudden changes.
- Highly strung and nervous, difficult to rest or relax.
- Nervous exhaustion could be a problem.
- Eccentric in ways, difficult to understand or live with.
- Will not deviate from perceived right to associate with whoever is deemed suitable.
- Demands a high degree of personal freedom.
- Rests any attempt at being made to conform.
- Erratic and sometimes unpredictable. May change direction almost at the drop of a hat.
Neptune 1st House:
If Neptune lies within 8 degrees of the Ascendant (conjunct) then it will have a very powerful influence on the personality as a whole, and in this case, the sign placing will also be important. In any case, Neptune in the first house tends to weaken the strength of the Ascendant sign. Taking the easy way out of challenges is common, and the subject finds it hard to get or stay motivated. Self-confidence may be low, but the dreaminess and idealism of this person can be a huge force for good.
- Unusual personality – the veil of mystery.
- Sensitive and impressionable, responds easily showing compassion and sympathy.
- Wonderful imagination.
- Attracted to the arts and glamour.
- May contact the mystical realms.
- Concentration is not easy, lost in daydreams.
- Tends to see things in an idealistic light rather than for real.
- High expectations lead to feelings of insecurity when things don’t meet expectations.
- Highly sensitive.
- Avoids confrontations or upsets.
- Indecisive. Lets things slide.
Pluto 1st House:
The nearer Pluto lies to the Ascendant, the stronger this influence will be. This placing darkens the personality, adding a brooding, incisive, and emotionally deep quality. This person wants to explore in depth anything they find fascinating, and cannot tolerate the superficial. There can be obsessive tendencies and a desire to dominate others. Emotional energy will be passionate and often expressed sexually, although it may also be channeled into ambitions. However, if Pluto is negatively aspected there could be potentially serious psychological blockages within the natal chart, which could even emerge as physical ailments.
- Resourceful, ability to spot and capitalize on opportunities.
- Instinctively values things and people.
- Strong need for control over the environment and people.
- People are unsure where they stand – magnetic yet remote at times.
- Periods of upheaval with drastic endings and new beginnings.
- Comes across too strongly and wants their own way.
- Plays power games and likes to control people.
- Traumatic and emotionally unsettling experiences.
What are your views on this house?